Monday, March 21, 2016

Answers to questions and recipes for Peach Cobbler and Chocolate Gravy


I want to thank you to everyone who read my story and allowed me to share a little part of my life.  My sister even read my story to her 5th grade class! Below is the letter I sent to her class. Maybe it will answer some of your questions as well!  And below that you will find recipes!

Dear 5th grade class,

I want to thank you so much for the warm welcome you gave me when I visited your class!  Thank you for reading my story and letting me read a little to you. You are the first kids to read it and I enjoyed all your comments and your ideas!

The letters you sent me have given me many hours of enjoyment!  I got cute pictures of Bear the dog and Sam the alligator. I loved the pictures of Melly and her house and the beautiful pictures of the bunnies.

Many of you told me that your favorite parts of the story were about the animals.  Mine, too!  And the fact that there were mysteries in the story was interesting to you!

I want to answer some of your questions. 

There were several questions asking about Old Sam.  Well, Old Sam would eat anything we threw at him as long as it was meat….!  I wasn’t really afraid of him because I was too young to realize that he could climb up that hill from that ditch any time he wanted to!  And I didn’t realize that there were other alligators in that lake.  And Yes, when I went back to visit my old home and my friend, I went to the lake to look for Old Sam….but I knew he wouldn’t be there….it was too long ago, but I looked to see if I could see any of his offspring. But, alas, I didn’t see any alligators at all!
Did I break the paddle ball?   Oh, yes!  Then I hid the paddle part so I couldn’t get spanked with it!!
Is Irene still alive?  No, I have been told that she was kind of old when I was a child and she moved away to live with her sister.  We were the last children that she took care of.
Did we ever see Bear the dog again.  No, I always watched for her to come back down the road, but she never did. And, we moved away.
I received a lot of questions about my grandfather and if I believed that he healed Patty.  I’ve spent a lot of my life just trying to answer that question.  Is there really such a thing as magic?  Who knows?  Maybe.  I do know that there is lots of magic and healing in being kind and loving someone.  So next time someone is sick or hurt, give them a little extra love and kindness, touch them softly, say a few words quietly, and see if they get better quicker!
Thank you all so very much for letting me know that you enjoyed my story.  And to answer the last question of if I will write another one?  Well, I just might with all the enthusiasm you have given me!
Thank you!
Mia  ‘Melly’ Willoughby mia@miakc.com
Grandma's Peach Cobbler
Mix:  1 cup sugar with 1 cup self rising flour and 1 cup milk
Melt: 1 stick of butter in a 8 x8 pan
Pour: flour mixture into butter do not stir
Add:  2 cups fresh (or canned) peaches
Bake: at 350 for 45 minutes (Can substitute apples and cinnamon for peaches)

Hot Chocolate Gravy for Waffles
Heat :  1 can evaporated milk
1 can water
Mix together in a separate bowl:
½ c self-rising flour
½ c cornstarch
½ c Hersheys unsweetened cocoa
1/3 c sugar
Add water slowly to make a thick paste
Add paste to milk on stove slowly... stirring until thick
Add 1 stick butter and vanilla

4 comments:

  1. I might have to try making chocolate gravy the next time I make waffles. My kids usually put Nutella on them, but they'd probably like this, too. I mean, really... it has a stick of butter in it! What could be bad about that????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you try it! I'd love to know if they like it... it's served warm and not too sweet! And, you can play around with the recipe for your tastes!

      Delete
  2. It's fun to read the answers to all of the questions. I had some of those same questions when I was reading. I want to try the peach cobbler recipe. It doesn't seem too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cobbler is very easy! I love it with apples or peaches. You just spoon in the fruit and then as its baking the crust begins to cover the top...making it better than a pie!

      Delete